- The bucket wasn't configured to be accessible as a website.
- My bucket wasn't named the same as the website; the bucket needed to be saladsimulator.com to match the domain saladsimulator.com.
I added extra routes in to see if I could Alias or CNAME to a known working site, but they didn't work either. So it seemed it was a problem with something to do with the DNS configuration.
After searching around I found a mention in a thread that the name server records in the hosted zone needed to match those in the domain name registration. In attempting to get the hosted zone to recognise the bucket I had deleted the one created by default when I registered the domain. The new hosted zone did not have matching name servers to the domain name. I updated the domain's name servers to match that of the hosted zone, and BAM! name resolution.
So in the end I needed to make sure that the domain name servers:
|Route 53 > Registered domains > saladsimulator.com|
matched those in the hosted zone:
|Route 53 > Hosted zones > saladsimulator.com|